Whether you are looking at new packaging design or refreshing and updating packaging, here are eight golden rules we take into consideration.
- Understand your market. We conduct a thorough packaging audit of all competitors in your market before we start, and make sure we understand their respective positioning and attributes.
- Trends. We look at what is happening with packaging in other markets, e.g. if you are just considering the NZ, what is happening in Australia, the US, EU or Asia that might give you a point of difference?
- Personality. We ensure you are different and ensure your packaging has its own visual equity and has a strong personality and attitude.
- Life Cycle. We make sure your packaging works at all stages of its life cycle, from leaving the factory to ending up in the user’s hands.
- Protection. We recommend you protect your packaging and design in terms of trademark law and copyright and make sure you’re not infringing your competitors’ rights.
- Pop Out. We ensure the packaging and design works and will mock up how your pack would look alongside your competition. We also try and test your packaging design in store and make sure it really does pop out at point of purchase.
- Future Proofing. We design with tomorrow in mind. We design and create packaging that is in keeping with current market trends and future trends.
- Testing. We promote doing some pre-market testing to make sure your packaging will find a willing audience. Bearing in mind we are careful how we test it as consumers never quite know what they are looking for until someone shows them something new. Henry Ford once said: ‘If I’d listened to what people wanted I’d have built a faster horse!’